Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Oh, The Movies I've Seen...

I've totally been neglecting updating this blog, but no more. My St. Patrick's Day resolution is to start updating this blog on a regular basis. Lately, I've been to more than a few movies, so I'll go ahead and give them some free promotion.

300


300 was a very, very fun movie. I was a little worried right off the bat when they tried to tell a "story," but the action started up less than 20 minutes in, and didn't let up. Most of 300 is plain old-fashioned eye candy. Interestingly, the movie was shot totally inside on blue screens and the world was completely created by animators. I think this is an awesome concept for a movie based on a graphic novel. Which brings me to another point. 300 has been criticized for not being "historically accurate" and while I was a history major, this movie is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel NOT the actual event. I'm all for bending facts and making things up in the fiction world, that's the whole point. The action scenes were very well done, the editing was paced so that you could actually see what was going on, unlike the battles in other movies. The effects were great, and some of costumes were incredibly cool. I would recommend 300 if you are into blood, gore, and great one-liners.

4 out of 5 Bl
oody, Decapitated Heads.

Zodiac


Seriously, is there anyone alive who doesn't like Jake Gyllenhaal? He may be the most likable actor in Hollywood. Zodiac was a pretty good movie. David Fincher came through with something much more subtle than any of his previous films. This is no Fight Club kids. If you suffer from ADD or have a short attention span, then don't even think about this film. Don't get me wrong, this isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it does clock in at 158 minutes, which helps the story, because the killer was never officially caught. Despite its length it kept me totally absorbed, thanks to great acting. Robert Downey, Jr. gave an incredible performance and Chloe Sevigny played the role of the bitchy wife extraordinarily. I was pleased, for once, to have the violence played down. We only get to see a fraction of the blood we could have, and this adds to the suspense somewhat.

3.5 out of 5 Late Night, H
eavy-Breathing Phone Calls.

Jackass Number 2

I made my girlfriend watch this movie with me, since she refused to watch it with me, since she lost our Oscar pool. (I picked half of the winners...not to bad) So we rented it and got lots of booze to fuel our experience. I have to say I was disappointed in the movie. A lot of the content seemed to have been culled from the spin-off shows (Wild Boyz/Viva La Bam) and that seems to make it like a bonus material disc. I liked the first one much more, but there were a few redeeming moments in this one. The skit at the end with Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers) was fantastic. I would say it is an enjoyable movie to watch if you're drinking and want to be able to come and go without paying much attention. My Girlfriend, incidentally, liked it much better than the the first because the skits are shorter and there are way more.

2.5 out of 5 Kicks to the Crotch.

So that's it for this round. Stay tuned for more reviews, rants, random pictures, etc.

No comments: