Sunday, July 6, 2008

Gone Batty!

We woke up this morning to a bat hanging on our back window! It was pretty cool, and hung out (literally...haha) for about 10 hours today. All of our neighbors stopped by to take pictures and otherwise ogle the poor beast, but it seemed unaffected. About 45 minutes ago, Darcy and I sat and watched as it slowly woke up, scratched himself, pooped and flew away. I've never been close enough to watch something like that and it felt really cool. I really never knew there were many bats around here, but it makes sense. I hope it eats all the bugs in the backyard, since they've been horrible this year. More pictures here.

This weekend I listened to two Alice In Chains albums, "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies" which were a total blast from the past. Their MTV Unplugged album would be the greatest of the unplugged albums if those pesky Nirvana fellows hadn't gone along and recorded one of their own. Jay-Z's wasn't too bad either. But I digress. Most of their unplugged material was culled from the above two albums and listening to it made me feel like I was in 8th grade again. In a really good way. They actually made beautiful instrumental tracks that were never really appreciated or remembered, at least by me anyway.

After that was the All Girl Summer Fun Band's self-titled album which, for obvious reasons, is best listened to in the summer. It's really fun and reminds me of some of my favorite Missoulian ex-patriots Razz 'm Tazz. I miss being able to see them play, but I think they'll be at this years Total Fest, which I'm totally looking forward to.

In other news, Darcy and I got mimosas and spyed on a particularily creepy wedding at the Holiday Inn near our house this afternoon. The couple seemed to be in for a lot of "enduring" and "leadership," if the words of the preacher were to be believed. I really don't want to end this three-day weekend, but time is running short, so I'll sign off here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've forgotten to ask this:
How are you going to handle numbers and punctuation? Most ABC-systems seem to like putting 0-9 at the beginning, but either you decided not to do so and put them at the end, or are putting them in order where they'd fall were they s-p-e-l-l-e-d out.
I'll guess I'll see the answer when you hit your 10,000 Maniacs and !!! albums.
Alright,
Mitch.

Ben Miller said...

I'm just going by iTunes default, album by artist order. I'm pretty sure it puts numbers last, and I'll have to check punctuation.

Of course after those come the albums that are defined as "compilations" even though some are just regular albums. I think it keeps the tracks in album format even if their is a featured artist credited.